5 Ways to De-stress
Updated: May 21, 2018
Stress can be a very painful thing, it can make the mind go crazy. Some people believe that stress will just go away, but there are some ways to help cope with the stress you are dealing with.
Stress is any uncomfortable, emotional experience accompanied by predictable biochemical, psychological, and behavioral changes. It can affect people of all ages and can lead to both physical and psychological health issues.
"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it." - Lou Holtz
Ways to De-stress
1. Go for a short walk
- Walking is shown to help clear your mind and release endorphins, which can reduce stress hormones.
- Don't just breathe regularly, breathe deeply. Deep breathing can help relax your body. Breathing exercises can relieve stress and reduce tension. Breathing deeply stimulates parasympathetic reaction, which helps calm us down.
3. Eat a Banana
- This may sound silly but bananas are full of potassium, which tends to rise when you become stressed. Eating a banana, while stressed, can improve energy.
4. See your BFF
- Talking and seeing someone you can talk to and trust can reduce your production of cortisol, a steroid hormone.
5. Turn OFF your Phone
- Phones are linked to increase a person's stress level. This is because people may feel obligated to always respond to a message instantly. Talking over the phone can increase your blood pressure, which can increase your stress level.